RE: Status Of The IT Talent Pool

From: Nedunuri,Srinivas (srinivas.nedunuriat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 17:04:24 PDT

    My personal take on this is that the whole idea of whether or not foreign
    workers are "stealing jobs" is a red herring.

    The real problem is the lack of any control over who can call themselves a
    software engineer, regardless of where they are from. Just about anyone can
    pick up a copy of Learn Java in 21 Days (or Learn Security in 21 Days in
    this case!) and place "Java programmer" or "experienced in security" on
    their resume. Of course, during the .com boom days this was actively
    encouraged, esp by employers wailing about how much they were having to pay
    for talented developers. Once the .coms became .bombs, you had all these
    Java "programmers" pounding the streets looking for work

    Contrast the situation with the legal profession. They don't allow any old
    Joe Shmoe to hang up a shingle and call themselves lawyers. Through exams,
    intake control, and partnerships they control the supply of lawyers. As a
    result, they have been somewhat affected by the downturn (esp those lawyers
    that specialized in patent law), but they certainly haven't seen rates drop
    by 50% as we have.

    I was out of work for 6 months and what I was up against was not programmers
    from India, Romania or wherever but every old Joe claiming to be a
    UML/OO/Java/J2EE/etc expert on their resume. Without any way of
    distinguishing the wheat from the chaff it was very difficult for employers
    to sort through hundreds of almost identical looking resumes.

    cheers
    -sn