Seeking Security Analyst job in San Francisco or East Bay

From: Ryan Russell (ryanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 07 2002 - 19:06:47 PDT

    I am seeking security analyst or security management work in San Francisco
    proper, or in the East Bay.  I'm looking for full-time employment.

    Ryan Russell
    ryanat_private

    Professional Summary:

    Ten years in a support, planning and analysis capacity.  Experience
    includes producing analyses for government and Fortune 500 customers,
    project management, working with vendors, network planning and
    installation, writing security policies, security risk assessment, RFP
    writing, network administration, programming, hardware and software
    installation, training, troubleshooting, and end-user support.

    Other activities include coauthoring numerous books on security and
    networking topics, being a regular speaker at security conferences, and
    active participation in public security forums.  I teach a networking
    course at UC Berkeley Extension.  I moderated the vuln-dev mailing list for
    three years under the alias "Blue Boar".

    Technical Summary:

    Skills include Windows and Unix system administration and network
    administration, programming, analysis of exploits, vulnerabilities, and log
    data.  I perform malicious code analysis, including lab testing, reverse
    engineering, and decompiliation.  I write IDS signatures, and have
    contributed to the Snort open-source IDS rulesets.

    Education/Training/Publications:

    I hold a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science degree from San Francisco
    State University.  I Have written portions of 9 books on the topics of
    networking and security, most notably the Hack Proofing series from
    Syngress Publishing.

    Experience:

    June 2001 to August 2002

    SecurityFocus
    Senior Threat Analyst - Responsible for analyzing attack signatures, attack
    signature classification, incident analysis reports, detailed malicious
    code analysis, and limited software development.  I was the Senior Threat
    Analyst for SecurityFocus' DeepSight service, which is a global threat
    management systems whose customers include government, education, and
    Fortune 500 companies.

    February 2000 to June 2001

    SecurityFocus
    MIS Manager - Responsible for all aspects of MIS operations, from end-user
    support to architecture.  Duties include system administration,
    procurement, installation, , troubleshooting, planning, security,
    networking, programming and budgeting.  Managed a contractor during this
    time, and managed my replacement until the job was fully given to him.
    Environment consists of Windows 9x, NT, and 2000, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris &
    Solaris x86.

    June 1995 to January 2000

    Sybase
    Senior Network Analyst - Maintained and Supported global WAN and Emeryville
    Campus LAN, including installation and maintenance of routers, hubs, and
    switches.  Duties included capacity planning, vendor relations, budget
    planning, and working with all other departments to meet network
    requirements.  Planned and Maintained Internet connections, firewalls,
    security policies, and security planning for Web servers.  Primary firewall
    planner company-wide.  Responsible for troubleshooting network-related
    problems in a multi-vendor environment, including 7x24 rotational coverage.
      Project lead for several major projects.  Also worked with voice group on
    some IVR and faxback  applications.  Environment consisted of various
    flavors of UNIX machines, Macs, PCs running different versions of Windows,
    and PCs running Netware all linked with Cisco routers, Cabletron hubs and
    switches,  Cisco switches, and Ascend & Cisco ISDN equipment.

    April 1995 to June 1995

    EDS
    Network Analyst - Identical to work for Bechtel.  Bechtel had outsourced IS
    department to EDS and EDS hired almost all employees.  Duties did not
    change during the time I was with EDS.

    June 1991 to April 1995

    Bechtel
    Network Analyst - Provided support and installed various networking systems
    including Windows NT, Netware, PathWorks, and Appleshare.  Lead Netware
    analyst.  Part of a team that maintained & managed campus-wide network
    consisting of Synoptics Ethernet hubs linked by an Ethernet switch for
    4000+ nodes.  Implemented client WAN links using Cisco routers.
    Participated in team(s) setting corporate standards for printers, NICs, and
    software installation and implementation.  Supported several projects and
    departments.  Assisted in department automation planning and
    implementation.  Support included software, hardware, and wiring  as well
    as helping departments determine the best way to use automation in their
    work processes.