Computer Security Architect/Researcher

From: Eric Knight (eknightat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 09:14:00 PST

    Dear Potential Employers:

    My background represents 8 years of computer security dedication and I've
    worked most of the categories of computer security at a detailed level. I
    specialize both in host-based operating system security and secure software
    programming and design, although I'm adept at enterprise network security
    design and implementation as well.  Penetration testing has been an on-going
    part of my practice, having worked on 4 "Fortune 500" companies and nearly
    30 other large organizations.

    I'm currently looking for a change in environment, so currently I'm keeping
    my options open as far as travel and relocation.  I'm not against
    international travel, either.

    I've attached a text copy of my resume for review.

    Thank you for your consideration,

    Eric Knight

    ---------

    Eric Banfield Knight

    (719) 821-6431
    eknightat_private

    Objective:

    To continue working in the field of computer security, preferably in a
    position that requires cutting edge knowledge of security technology.

    Certifications:

    ·	DISA Department of Defense Secret Clearance (1995-present)
    ·	Certified Information Systems Security Professional (1998-present)
    ·	ICSA Certified Web Security Consultant (1998-2001)

    Work Experience:

    2002-Present:  Innerwall, Inc.:  Product Director.  Designed security
    components for Innerwall’s distributed agent technology.  Appeared on
    regional television news, 20/20, and received other favorable press
    associated with demonstrated “white hat” hacker skills.  Managed product
    comparisons and created a computer security matrix for over 100 companies,
    collected vulnerabilities and exploits for use in penetration tests, and
    programmed a heuristic log analysis engine for enterprise security clients.

    2001-2002: Veridian Information Systems:  NORAD Security Software Architect.
    Designed NORAD’s future computer security architecture and vision for the
    ISC2 contract.  Lead security software design for one of the most famous of
    the United State’s military bases.  Headed implementation and testing team
    of 34 people.  Security clearance required.

    1996-2000: DMW Worldwide, Inc. Senior Software Developer. Designed and
    programmed computer security software as a consultant to Qualix, Inc. as
    well as for the company’s own product suite. Developed three products
    (HostCHECK, NetCHECK, Vulnerability Database) from conception to finish,
    including additional iterations of quality enhancements. Spent some time
    working on controlled penetration tests for clients, using the experience to
    learn existing products and improve company toolsets.  Job required direct
    interactive involvement with executives, customers, marketing, venture
    capitalists, investment bankers, distributors, and development team of six
    people.  Received DMW Worldwide’s Superior Performance Award in December of
    1998.

    1996: Trident Data Systems. Senior Software Developer. Created, developed,
    and released to market the Trident Data System’s Hostguard software package.
    Received Trident Data System's Superior Achievement Award in 1996.

    1995-1996: Trident Data Systems: System Administrator: Worked in a 5000+
    user network administration team for the United States Air Force in a
    high-security environment.  Security clearance was required and successfully
    obtained for holding this position.

    1991-1995: University of Southern Colorado: Lab Assistant/Tutor: Worked on a
    1000+ user network providing support in the campus computer labs. Job
    requirements involved solving computer problems as they occur, answer
    questions students or professors had about network operations, and to be
    responsible for the upkeep and protection of the equipment.

    Education:

    Post-Graduate Education:  Colorado State University, Computer Science
    (2001-present)

    Bachelor’s Degree from University of Southern Colorado, 3.3 cum
    Major: 	Computer Information Systems
    Minors:  Business Administration, Mathematics

    Educational Awards:
    	Outstanding Member of D.P.M.A., Club President
    	Who’s Who Among American College Students
    	Dean’s List (multiple times)

    Skills:

    Computer Security:

    ·	Firewalls (IP Filter, NAT, IP Masquerade, Proxy)
    ·	Intrusion Detection Systems
    ·	Master Console implementation and log reduction
    ·	Host based security (Tripwire, Anti-Virus, Forensics, HIDS)
    ·	Penetration testing
    ·	Security policy writing
    ·	Secure software design
    ·	PKI
    ·	Encryption
    ·	Incident handling
    ·	Enterprise security

    Project Design and Management related skills

    ·	UML
    ·	Microsoft Project
    ·	Rational Rose
    ·	Visio
    ·	Together

    Operating Systems

    ·	Windows platforms (NT, 2000, XP, ME/98/98SE/95…)
    ·	UNIX (Solaris, Linux, HP-UX, Irix, BSD, other lesser known UNIX variants)

    Programming Languages

    ·	C++/ANSI C
    ·	Visual Basic
    ·	Assembler (Intel 80 series, 65xx)
    ·	SQL
    ·	HTML

    Accomplishments:

    Aside from specific skill sets, the following accomplishments demonstrate
    Mr. Knight’s dedication to achievement in the computer security industry:

    September 2002: Made national news (ABC World News Tonight) on behalf of
    Innerwall, Inc. featuring Cyberterrorism. Was on CBS's and ABC’s local news
    for "white hat hacking".

    April 2002:  Within six months of being hired, Veridian’s award fee on the
    ISC2 contract was improved from 84% to 97% from Lockheed’s independent
    evaluation of performance.

    September 2000:  Released the “Default Accounts Database” of nearly 1000
    collected default accounts and made the resource free to computer security
    professionals world-wide.  This document has been accessed over 100,000
    times.

    March 2000:  Released eBook entitled “Computer Vulnerabilities” detailing an
    extended classification system for computer vulnerabilities using real-world
    examples.  This book was featured on Security Focus’s BUGTRAQ mailing list,
    and is available for download at most major security knowledge repositories.

    October 1997:  As lead engineer and project designer on a team of six
    members, finished and deployed DMW Worldwide’s “HostCHECK”, a UNIX computer
    security tool.  This tool included the deployment of a 2000+ element
    vulnerability database used for controlled penetration tests by the services
    division and a multi-platform, multi-protocol password security analysis
    system entitled “CrackIT”.  HostCHECK was featured at Networld+InterOP, CSI,
    and Linux World Expo.

    December 1999: Patent inventor for WO9966383A "Method and Apparatus for
    Assessing the Security of A Computer System" for DMW Worldwide, LLC.

    June 1997:  Completed an internal release of the software product “NetCHECK”
    , a UNIX based network security scanning tool capable of searching networks
    for vulnerabilities at high-speeds.

    June 1996:  Privately developed and sold rights to “CONTROL”, a UNIX
    security analysis tool, to Trident Data Systems.  This project was later
    renamed to HostGUARD and used in several military environments.  HostGUARD
    was featured at Networld+InterOP.