Re: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: Neil (neil.mccallumat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 22:30:00 PDT

    just on the topic of cable modems.... Iv'e been watching for a long while
    now a certain packet i cant shake on my firewall

    i dont have the logs with me but iv'e been watching it for months now and i
    can almost sing along with it..

    it relates the the idea of "If you can figure out what this network is"

    modem "docsis" "telstra bigpong/d advance" sydney australia, newtown
    ip 203.45.9x.xx

    firewall eth0=int eth1=ext
    incomming packet proto #2(igmp) on eth1 DENY ip 10.61.5.1:65535 d-ip
    24.0.0.1:65535 (rule #1)

    various others from time to time include a sport 68 dport 67 dhcp reqest to
    the eth1

    and sometimes a icmp sport 8 dport 0 in eth1

    the first of the series happens every 60secs non stop for the last 3-4
    months

    i figure its goto be telstra no other person would be so stupid (other then
    an auto script)
    its deny'd by us but i firgure if its also hitting out DMZ then its hitting
    the whole cable net

    i have called telstra and asked thier helpdesk but i may as well have asked
    my mum how to upgrade my Os or bios.. for all it did

    and have also scanned the ip and traced it (scan came up with nothing, trace
    says 1 hop :)

    any thoughts ?????
    ill send the log snipits in tomorow

    Neil McCallum                     | Ph     +61-2-9452-9064
    Network Administrator             | Fax    +61-2-9452-9800
    Fujitsu Australia Limited         | Email  neil.mccallumat_private
    14 Rodborough Road,               |
    French's Forest.  NSW. 2086       | Mobile 0410-472-086
    Australia                         |       +61-410-472-086