<vuln-dev> nt console compromise

From: auto114869at_private
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 11:56:57 PDT

    	well recently i was enlightened by a dfacer of a vulnerability that exists
    in nt4(ws/srv), some nt5(srv-pro), winme? xp? all sp's. though nt5 with
    proper acl's could prevent alot.

    	its already caused me some headaches and has just added to my hared for
    m$ products. i've tested it on my 100+ open user lab and found nothing but
    headaches. if your in charge of say a school or a productive workplace with
    alot of end user sec. concerns then this pertains to you. i am running nt4
    workstations on whats basically entirely wintranet other than a couple nix
    fileservers. all workstations are used by various users throughout the day
    with little to no supervision. so you might understand the dilemma when
    i read '5 easy steps' off their defacement at all www.alldas.de of jokester.com.

    	well anyway curiously enough i decided to test it out and found it worked.
    on everything. it was pathetic. the 5 steps where as follows.

    from the internet explorer window with it open and active (which is the
    only browser allowed on our stations with access restrictions, so if they
    type say 'http://www.blah.com' they just get a vio.)

    1. type ctrl + f1
    *up opens up internet explorer help window, characterized by the friendly
    tone that plays an the lil dancing squares.

    2. right click on the drag bar of the internet explorer help menu.

    3. choose the 'jump to url...' command.
    *up pops a dialog box.

    4. enter any dir you would like to enter, example %systemroot%\winnt\system32\
    to open up the cmd.exe for a cmd prompt and explorer.exe for a simplistc
    dir traversal. or a:\ to use toys.

    5. hit enter and enjoy., because its all gui and simply says micros**t.

    unfortunately with this i was able to bypass many restrictions allowing
    everything necessary to attack other machines internally easily. webpages
    which are supposedly restricted are viewable, also allowing the attack of
    intranet webservers (eg: win.tra.net/s.ida) etc.

    well thats about it, i'd was just lookin to know more about it. its already
    effected me once today. though an 'obzerve' of fux0r inc. thinks it quite
    humorous. except i suppose it kind of is lol. durnit windose... anyway any
    info appreciated.

    gary

    Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com