Re: Question Regarding new IIS escaped char exp.

From: Ralph Moonen (ralphat_private)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 13:41:39 PDT

    At 05:11 21-5-01 -0500, H D Moore wrote:
    >On Thursday 17 May 2001 01:03 pm, w1re p4ir wrote:
    > > Ello all,
    > > If an IIS machine is patched against the Unicode Attack that was released
    > > many months ago... Does this exploit work? I haven't really been able to
    > > test it on a machine that ISN'T nt4.0 sp6/a. Anyone have any ideas? -wire
    >
    >Yes it would work.  The new one also affects IIS 3.0, which was previously
    >unexploitable (?)

    Actually, this is not true. Some foreign language versions of 3.0 are
    definately vulnerable. I have tested against 3.0 German and Japanese (or was it
    chinese i can't remeber) and they were vuln.

    >after the sample files had been removed.  I updated the
    >unicoder.pl tool to use the new decode sequences and added an interactive
    >mode per request (command shell).  A few new directories were added, which
    >should make exploiting IIS 5.0 and OWA machines easier. You can grab the
    >latest copy from:
    >
    >http://www.digitaloffense.net/csw/unicoder.pl

    Nice exploit. But it will not find non-english servers vulnerable. The
    German version of IIS
    returns 'Verzeignis von'  in stead of ' Directory of'. Other languages also
    break your script.
    So if you want it to find all versions, you
    should actually check for   "<DIR>"  or execute ver.exe and grep for 'Windows'

    Cheers!

    --Ralph