Re: Win9x netbios pass verif. exploit for unix

From: Dragos Ruiu (drat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 22:19:27 PDT

    Floating around more than a year ago there was a small (40-60 line from memory)
    patch to samba/smbclient that utilizes the same flaw to erm... remove the
    needless bother of passwords on wintendo shares nearly instantly, all in
    one nice bundle to also access the data you need.

    I'm sorry but some sort of shortcoming in my, oh so careful,
    chronological by depth :-), exploit filing system precludes my
    finding it right now, but you ought to be able to recreate it
    fairly readily without too much work...

    If anyone is _still_ relying on share passwords on old WIndows versions
    for _any_ sort of security, short of keeping very casual users out until
    they spend a few minutes trying, they are making a mistake.

    This has been around for a while, long enough for me to lose the sploit
    apparently.... so if you still are vulnerable to this in this day and age on
    any data of real significance, your security plan really needs erm.... forklift
    upgrades, imho.

    cheers,
    --dr

    P.s.  I think nessus has some good code for this too that can be used as an
    example, if you're looking...