Re: php / phplib session-id generation

From: Kevin Fu (fubobat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 08:24:44 PDT

    Speaking of sessionID generation...

    My research group recently published a document on good design
    practices and reverse engineering of Web client authentication schemes
    (e.g., authenticators in URLs and cookies).  If you have stories about
    problems in Web client authentication, we'd love to document them.
    The technical report is on:

    http://cookies.lcs.mit.edu/

    A shorter version of the document will be presented at the USENIX
    Security Symposium in August.

    The document includes a story about session IDs and linear
    congruential number generators...

    -Kevin

    >I just had a quick peek so the following 'information' is based on first
    >impressions and is probably full of errors. I hope this could stir up
    >some discussion about session id generation / using timeofday as random
    >seed/value etc. (or could somebody point me to some references).

    --------
    Kevin E. Fu (fubobat_private)
    PGP key: https://snafu.fooworld.org/~fubob/pgp.html