Re: Tripwire temporary files

From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group (Cy.Schubertat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 15:50:51 PDT

    In message <20010713080836.A161232at_private>, "Jarno Huuskonen"
    writes:
    > If you look a little below you'll see a call to FileDelete(strName); So
    > first you create a file with mkstemp and then unlink it. And because
    > cFileArchive::OpenReadWrite(line 708) then opens the same file(name) without
    > O_EXCL there still is a race. So I don't think this is a sufficient fix.
    > You should make cFileArchive::OpenReadWrite use O_EXCL.
    > I have --> untested <-- patch (probably fails horribly ;-) for this:
    > http://www.uku.fi/~jhuuskon/Patches/tripwire-2.3.1-2-O_EXCL.patch

    I applied your patch to the upcoming FreeBSD Tripwire-2.3.1 port.  I
    tested it  and it works!

    > > We haven't had a chance to install the commercial version yet, however
    > > if the commercial version is vulnerable (I've notified TripwireSecurity
    > > of the possibility and I'm betting dollars to donuts that is might be)
    > > a possible workaround would be to create a shared library with a
    > > function named mktemp which would call mkstemp() as in the patches
    > > above, then execute tripwire using LD_PRELOAD to load the mktemp
    > > wrapper.
    >
    > On Thu, Jul 12, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
    > Back in january the binary tripwire 2.2.1 for linux was statically
    > compiled / linked. Can you use LD_PRELOAD with static executables ?

    LD_PRELOAD only works on dynamically linked binaries.

    Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
    Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
    Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubertat_private
    Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
    Province of BC