Caldera OpenUnix8 Overflows (reject, lpsystem, su)

From: KF (dotslashat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 02:02:29 PDT

    I contacted Caldera (SCO) about some local overflows in a few binaries
    that came default with my install of OpenUnix8... Here is a snippet
    of the email dialog between us. Due to the lack of access to the machine
    and lack of a good debugger on the system, I have not had time to put
    any
    further research time in. If anyone else has access to this fairly new
    OS
    feedback would be appreciated. Sorry for the lack of info on this
    subject.
    -KF

    >tiggerat_private wrote:
    >
    > To: dotslashat_private
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > We've heard that you have found some suid overflows in OU8. In
    > particular, su was mentioned. We've fixed several problems with this
    > command, but it didn't fully get fixed until OU8 FCS. Are you certain
    > that you are not testing this on Beta?

    Not unless you mailed me beta media when I purchased it last week. =]
    basics of the issues are

    /bin/su and /sbin/su are not the same file and they both suffer the
    same overflow. They differ in size to say the least.

    TERM=`perl -e 'print "A" x 7000'`
    su -
    core dump

    or TERMINFO=long string
    TERM=semilong string
    su - nobody
    core dump

    /usr/sbin/reject `perl -e 'print "A" x 7000'`
    core dump

    /usr/sbin/lpsystem `perl -e 'print "A" x 7000'`
    core dump

    -KF