Re: A very dangerous mail...

From: Nexus (nexusat_private-way.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 06:04:43 PDT

    Hi folks,
                Marius was kind enough to send me a copy of the original email,
    including attachments.   I've always enjoyed analysing unknown and
    potentially malicious files like this - feel free to pass such things on to
    me.   Yes, I did just say that ;-)
    Anyway, in short the email contained an early variant of the Efortune worm
    (W32.Efortune.28672@ mm) details of which can be found at
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.efortune.28672at_private - to
    precis from the writeup : "The W32.Efortune.28672@mm worm is an encrypted
    mass mailer with backdoor capabilities. It uses IRC to spread."
    The other attachment was fortune.zip which contained 2 files, cookie.exe and
    a file_id.diz that describes the file as :

    "                       FortuneCookie 32 - Version 1.0
                                    * FREEWARE *

            FortuneCookie 32 is a Windows 32 version of the classical
    fortune cookies you can get at some restaurants. It's very simple
    double clicking on the cookie.exe file will bring up a fortune cookie.
            This program is freeware so feel free to send out a word of
    wisdom to your friends!"

    The cookie.exe [13/4/2001 16:15 28672 bytes] is actually another copy of the
    worm.

    Cheers.