Re: A code red that could bring down the net?

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 11:11:05 PDT

    (D)DoS is so ... february 2000. get over it.

    instead, consider havoc and mayhem. think "false news report injection",
    think "stock report falsification". human driven chaos is sigificantly
    more difficult to stem than computer driven packet floods. think "war of
    the worlds". given our increasing reliance on the Inet for information
    dissemination, a few well worded 'hey, the stock market is taking a bath!
    sell!' emails that prey on the contacts list would defnitely help up the
    credibility of such forged emails. enough people hitting their portfolios
    to dump their stocks and ... whammo.

    if one truly had malicious intents at really playing with the world (ie to
    make some money on the stock market, to cause political instability for
    opportunistic gain), you'd have to reapply your thoughts to something just
    a bit more creative.

    still, being destructive is easy and, by definition, not productive.
    think, instead, about how you would defend against such an attack and help
    harden systems to prevent such problems. that's where we need people to
    go, to take the next step and say 'ok, this problem exists, it can be used
    to cause these destructive patterns, how do we defend against it?'

    jose nazario						     joseat_private
    	      	     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
    				       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)