Fwd: RE: SecureIIS - From the Focus-MS list...

From: Jon Zobrist (kgbat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 08:28:44 PDT

    FYI..
    This message was posted to focus-ms, sounds like a possible exploit/DoS that
    would affect SecureIIS systems with FrontPage enabled...

    Subject: RE: SecureIIS
    Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:19:08 -0400
    From: Aaron Dokey <adokeyat_private>
    To: "'focus-msat_private'" <focus-msat_private>

    I'm in the process of evaluating the product, and my web people (no matter
    how hard I try) still use FrontPage 2000 to publish.  I've managed to get
    publishing working OK, but when someone publishes a semi-large file (e.g. a
    6MB access database) the size of my IIS process balloons until it takes up
    all available memory and eventually renders the box useless until IIS is
    restarted.  On the client end FP just seems to stick on the file until the
    server disconnects (from running out of memory).  I've enabled FrontPage
    extensions in SecureIIS as well as disabled everything having to do with the
    POST method.

    I've replicated this problem on two machines, both running WinNT 4.0 SP6a
    and the latest IIS hotfixes.

    I sent email to eEye early last week about this problem, and if any of you
    have encountered a similar problem and the solution I'd be happy to know.
    I'd like to purchase the product, but I can't run something that has this
    effect on my web cluster (obviously).

    -Aaron