Re: IIS 4.0 leaking files?

From: Michel Arboi (arboiat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 03:28:58 PDT

     --- "Stanley G. Bubrouski" <stanat_private> a écrit :
    > I can.  It is called normal dumb browser behaviour

    No. This behaviour does not come from the browser. Try to telnet to
    some IIS web server, send it a GET or a HEAD request on /index.htm and
    /index.htm/ and see how the content type changes from "text/html" to
    "application/octet-stream".
    The server is doing this.
    BTW, this work with \ or  / too.

    > not big webserver security hole.

    Well, I could not download any ASP with this. I did not try other
    extensions.

    > The reason the file was downloaded is because netscape is
    > stupid.

    No the reason is that IIS is buggy. Not a big bug apparently, but
    something dirty.

    > /index.html/ which could be a valid directory...the webserver
    > however did remove the slash.

    It removed the slash but somehow decided that the extension of the URI
    was "html/". "htm" or "html" should be sent as "text/html", but it has
    no rule for "html/"; so it reverts to the default
    "application/octet-stream" type.
    Just my 0.02 EUR

    > > hypoclear
    > I love that name, I'm making a nameplate and putting it on my door.

    Could we have a discount if we buy several at once? :)