RE: CR II - winME? confirmation? (Slightly OT)

From: Amer Karim (amerkat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 16:19:25 PDT

    <SNIP>
    ...Oh yeah,
    and obviously a web server of some sort must be running, the worm propagates
    by GET requests, which'll have no effect on a server that doesn't process
    them...hard to see how anyone could be confused on this front...
    <END SNIP>

    My question was regarding only W2K systems.  However, you've raised the
    point that's been bothering me throughout all this and the reason I raised
    my second question - perhaps not clearly enough.  I've hesitated re-posting
    my question, hoping that I'd be able to find the answer somewhere, or
    someone here would have the answer.

    Given the following configuration - W2K (any flavour) with default
    installation of Index service (enabled or not) and ANY web server (not just
    IIS) - are these possible hosts for the CR worm?  Or is it something in IIS
    specifically that requires its presence?  From what I've gathered - both
    from the discussion here and other sources such as MS, eEye, SARC etc. - it
    was the original unchecked buffer in the idq.dll that was being used, and
    IIS was necessary only as a conduit.  If this is the case, then ANY web
    server should serve (pardon the pun) as that conduit.

    Which brings me back to my question of why all the advisories are NOT
    targeting ALL W2K users, instead of giving the impression that it's only
    corporate servers that need worry.  And if ANY web server, not just IIS,
    will suffice - then, I repeat my question with even more emphasis.

    Regards,
    Amer Karim
    Nautilis Information Systems