RE: Winnt/Win2k Vuln ?

From: Louis-Eric Simard (Louis-Ericat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 20:21:10 PDT

    The major distinction here should one of action-domain constraints;

    1. The filesystem browsing tool should be able to uniquely identify and act
    upon requests made to it, and the web browsing tool should have the same
    ability; poorly-designed or poorly-implemented name spaces will lead to
    collisions, and will require context-based patches to compensate for; those
    are bound to fail at the perimeters, as not all interaction scenarios
    can/will be anticipated, especially as new domains interweave with these
    two to muddy the field some more.

    2. Similarly, request sources should be equally constrained; external
    sources should have no ability whatsoever to unboundedly act on local
    resources; this has been a frequent failing of the various IE implementations.

    As we are limited by the fact that the shoddy name space is now prevalent,
    then context needs to be taken into account. As one types in a URL without
    specifying the underlying protocol (http:// or file://), there should be no
    ambiguity that the expected protocol is http, just as we do not naturally
    expect file system requests to be carried over the web. The fix is in
    filling-in missing protocol details, within logical usage contexts, before
    the request allocator gets a chance to goof it up.

    Cheers,

      + Louis-Eric Simard
        The Freedom Factory, Inc.