Re: MiM Simultaneous close attack

From: Paul (paulbugtraqat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 18:49:37 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "jaywhy" <jaywhy2at_private>
    To: "Paul" <paulbugtraqat_private>; <vuln-devat_private>
    Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 1:20 AM
    Subject: Re: MiM Simultaneous close attack
    Thank you.
    This is not what i want.I wanna get the packets between the gateway and other hosts connected to the other hub.
    What you said is right.I have succeeded in this.But in this way,I failed to fake the gateway's MAC.
    The reasons are:( i am on the host A in the following illustration)
    1.I send arp request arp who is at cc.cc tell  gg.gg(mac:aa:aa)
    2.Host B sends arp reply arp cc.cc is at cc:cc and put(or update) the entry gg.gg->aa:aa in its arp cache.
    3.In my campus,It's free to visit Internet,so the gateway is very busy.
    4.The gateway frequently sends arp request like arp request who is at xx.xx tell gg.gg(mac:gg:gg).Because
     arp request is broadcasted,Host B can get this arp request.
    5.Remember many os feature that if he receive a arp request whose src mac or src ip presents in its cache,It will use the
      map src ip->src mac of the arp request it just received.
    6.So the gateway's mac in Host B's cache will alternate between the fake(aa:aa) and the correct one(gg:gg).I have seen the phenomena in host B(win me) with arp -a.

    Regards.
    Paul