Re: WINDOWS XP NTP

From: John Galt (galtat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 13:05:29 PDT

    locutus#ntptrace time.windows.com
    time.windows.com: stratum 2, offset 0.002825, synch distance 0.06490
    time.nist.gov: stratum 1, offset 0.004652, synch distance 0.00000, refid 'ACTS'

    Locutus is most definitely not a windows XP box :)

    I'm still guessing that any and all NTP 'sploits are prefectly valid for
    Win XP, and even more so, since there is a default attack vector.  You can
    get substantial coverage with a script that forges an NTP packet from
    time.windows.com (207.46.228.33 according to my dig, but it's
    non-authoritative...)  The fun part is they're .60 seconds off NIST:
    pathetic for a stratum 2.

    --
    There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
    keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare

    Who is John Galt?  galtat_private, that's who!