Re: Email webbugs

From: Peter Pekala (peterpat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 09:11:19 PDT

    In Outlook Express - Have you tried configuring this through Tools -
    Options - Receipts - Returning Read Receipts ?

    - Peter

    : One of the things that has always bothered me about Outlook Express and
    : Outlook is that they are susceptable to webbugs. Basically there are no
    : options to block confirmation of your reading an email so any spammer can
    : verify that your address is active as long as they can get you to just
    view
    : an email.
    :
    : A lot of people have difficulty understanding exactly what this means so I
    : set up a demonstration page at http://www.nthelp.com/OEtest/oe.htm in an
    : attempt to raise awareness of this nonsense and get MS to do something
    about
    : it. I don't know if other email programs like Eudora and Netscape are
    : vulnerable to email webbugs so if anyone tests those please let me know
    the
    : results.
    :
    : Anyway, I've made the test site available to the public now so if you want
    : to check your email reader, feel free.
    :
    : Geo.
    :