Re: Email webbugs

From: John Hicks (jhicksat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 09:18:51 PDT

    Unfortunately, this is not a 'web bug'. If you point your
    browser to http://confirm.to, you will see that it's a
    Korean company providing detailed email tracking as
    a corporate service.  You can track 30 email
    addresses for frrr, or pay $10USD for 600!!!  I have
    forwarded this information to EPIC.

    John

    > There is an interesting use of webbugs made by
    one outfit.  If you
    > append .confirm.to to the end of the address you
    send a mail to
    > it will be sent to the original address (without
    the .confirm.to).  When
    > a person reads the mail on an html mail reader it
    replies to .confirm.to.
    > They, in turn, send you an email specifying the
    time, IP address and
    > MAC address of the machine on which the mail
    was read.