Re: SSH 2.4.0/3.0.1 usernames guessable ?

From: Gordon Messmer (yinyangat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 13:14:06 PDT

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Marco van Berkum wrote:

    > As we were playing a bit with some SSH versions we
    > came across some interesting 'bugs'. I hope this is not
    > a 'known' bug, but I wasn't able to find any documentation
    > regarding this flaw.
    > Lets try to make a ssh connection for a non existing user:
    > Now I try it for a existing user:
    > A clear difference in the output.

    This "bug" was fixed some time ago in OpenSSH, which will currently give
    the same prompts for real users and non-existant users.

    However, there is still a discernable difference between users that exist
    and those that don't in OpenSSH.  If you attempt to connect as a user that
    exists, there will be a delay between password prompts.  Connecting
    as a user that does not exist, the password prompts will lack the sleep()
    delay.

    Better, but not perfect.

    --
    If I had a dollar for every brain that you don't have,
    	I'd have one dollar. - Squidward to SpongeBob