RE: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: John R. Morris (jrmorrisat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 18:08:12 PDT

    I can't believe anyone honestly considers a "counter-attack" worm the same
    as self-defense. Deadly force, or otherwise normally illegal amounts of
    force, is justified only in defense of your life, or the lives of others,
    your physical well-being, or the physical well-being of others. Defense is
    something done to prevent something from happening, retaliation is something
    done in response to a previous act. Furthermore, from what I gather, it's
    not even retaliatory, it's pre-emptive, being a automated worm like CR. In
    any case, it is illegal, and rather morally and ethically suspect. Releasing
    yet another worm that attempts unauthorized access to someone's machine, and
    then runs code on it is illegal.

    Look at it this way:

    Say someone does this counter-worm for telnetd buffer overflows, and you
    have a black box on your network that can only be accessed via telnet (say a
    printer, or router, or so forth) and it is BSD based, and now you have two
    worms to worry about, for your boss to ask why it wasn't fixed, etc. There
    are less painful ways to let people know, and if they still don't respond,
    they'll get hammered by all the malicious code that is already out there. No
    need to add to the mess. Imagine what the internet (as a community of
    network and systems and their admins) would be like if everyone did this.
    Ugly, isn't it ?

    Just my opinion, and since I just had my appendix out yesterday, I am rather
    heavily medicated. So please pardon the typos and other little errors.

    - John