Re: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 23:24:48 PDT

    Ahh, but this is what is being asked for according to the recent SANS
    mailings, folks what the core providers to be more active and take more
    responsibility for -=their=- clients.  How better to police and block
    those under their domain?

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Gert-Jan Hagenaars wrote:

    > Apparently, Stanley G. Bubrouski wrote:
    > % On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Emre Yildirim wrote:
    > %
    > % It may sound unreasonable but using access-lists on routers on routers is
    > % great way for companies and providers to stop the spread of Code Red.  By
    > % blockign all traffic from a person's machine they are then forced to call
    > % their provider's tech support to report they lost their connection.  The
    > % provider then can inform the customer they are infected, explain to them
    > % they must patch their system, remove them from the ACLs, wait 24 hours and
    > % if they show signs they are patched then do not reapply the ACL.
    >
    > This doesn't work on machines that connect via DHCP.
    >
    > The whole notion of using manhours to combat a DOS attack is an out of
    > date idea.  Besides, you're turning the problem into a problem for
    > the ISPs.  Which (essentially) means that you're turning the ISPs into
    > internet-cops.
    >
    > I see four distinct problems with this approach:  on one server we got
    > about 1200 distinct hits of code-red in 24 hours.
    >
    > (first problem) How many thousands of emails do I have to send in a
    > week to get through to the ISPs, and
    >
    > (second problem) who's going to handle all these requests in a timely
    > manner and
    >
    > (third problem) judge the validity of my claims?  And,
    >
    > (fourth problem) who's going to pick up the bill for calling all these
    > customers?
    >
    > Consider the cost of a support call when a customer calls an ISP (CDN
    > 7 about four years ago (when I worked for an ISP), very likely higher
    > now), and that's when you don't have to spend time finding out which
    > number to call, nor having to find the right person at the other end of
    > the phone ("my son always takes care of this stuff, but I can't get to
    > yahoo and i'm paying you guys for my internet connection!")
    >
    > If your proposed approach worked, we wouldn't have any SPAM either.
    > And that's an area where (most) ISPs _want_ to battle this.
    >
    > I think a passive inoculation (worm) that doesn't seek out victims, but
    > only counters infected systems (where the admins (if they exist) don't
    > care) is a far better approach.  It's certainly more cost effective,
    > definitely quicker and obviously less prone to error.
    >
    > So... where's the linux version?
    >
    > CHeers,
    > Gert-Jan.
    >
    > --
    > sed '/^[when][coders]/!d         G.J.W. Hagenaars -- gj at hagenaars dot com
    >     /^...[discover].$/d          Remembering Mike Carty 1968-1994
    >    /^..[real].[code]$/!d         UltrixIrixAIXHPUXSunOSLinuxBSD, nothing but nix
    > ' /usr/dict/words                I'm Dutch, what's _your_ excuse?

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.