device rebooting (was: Re: codegreen, the problem.

From: Meritt James (meritt_jamesat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 12:22:00 PDT

    I  have seen systems that I would not want to be rebooted unless
    competent folks were sitting around peering at it with their fingers
    crossed...

    Of course,  that was  a Unix box that had had a lot of configuration
    changes done to it without total system reboot, had been up for a long
    time, was a public system, and there was  doubt that the thing would
    come back at all...

    Are you so confident that a system can reinitialize without supervision
    100% of the time?  Sounds like a pretty reliable box!

    Patrick Patterson wrote:

    > On September 6, 2001 09:07 am, John Thornton wrote:
    > > The thing that scares me about codegreen and others like is the fact
    > > that it reboots IIS without even warning the network administrator.
    > > In the real world there are production servers that are running
    > > 24/7. Just up and rebooting a extremely important service such as
    > > IIS without letting anyone know is unheard of. For example, the company
    >
    > Ok... I agree with you up to a point - some systems shouldn't be rebooted
    > during peak times....

    [snip]

    --
    James W. Meritt, CISSP, CISA