RE: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: John R. Morris (jrmorrisat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 15:21:52 PDT

    Besides which, there is a reason that the law is complex, and there are so
    many legal concepts like "probable cause", and I'm certain there are plenty
    compelling arguments and precedent supporting why I wouldn't get busted for
    picking up a gun that was completely accessible to anyone on someone's front
    lawn. However, the counter-worm, is completely against all legal precedent.
    In order to convict someone of criminal activities, you need habeas corpus,
    i.e., evidence of a crime, and in the case of hacked machines running
    attacks, you'd probably have to prove intent, otherwise it's just
    negligence, and becomes a civil rather than criminal case most likely.
    Whereas if you release a fix-it worm, or manually hack in and patch someones
    system, you are guilty, and can even be shown to have intent to commit a
    crime, whereas a hapless system administrator whose box is hacked, doesn't
    have any intent to do harm.

    I realize that laws differ from country to country, but still, a
    counter-worm would be illegal in any country in which the worm itself was
    illegal, I would say.  Finally, vuln-dev is not a legislative mailing list,
    so I never thought for one minute we should or were discussing the changing
    of laws, I simply thought we were discussing the pros and cons of worms that
    patch vulnerabilities, specifically the so called Code Green worm. Now, I
    don't think most people on this list are qualified to determine what laws
    should and shouldn't exist, I know I'm not. I am, however, qualified, as I
    suspect many on this list are, to speak about the technical, and common
    sense aspects of a IT security related issue. That does include whether or
    not it violates any laws that I am aware of. Also, I'm apparently qualified
    to get in a silly flame war over a childish idea that most people out grow
    at some point. Oh well. :>

    To sum up my opinion on this idea:

    1. It would be illegal (generally considered a bad thing) in most places.
    2. It has a potential for doing harm to systems.
    3. It would work largely without any of the clueless people it is helping
    out's knowledge, and therefore they wouldn't learn anything.
    4. It would still use up network traffic, and would in time be a problem in
    and of itself to get rid of.
    5. it could provide a nice bit of background chatter to distract IDS & NIDS
    systems and folks, which could allow really malicious attacks to sneak in
    under it's signature "noise".
    6. It sets a very bad precedent, that it is ok to ditch communication and
    cooperating, and just go fix someone else's system yourself... This carried
    to it's logical conclusion turns the community of network and system admins
    who control portions (however large or small) of the internet, from a mostly
    cooperative group, into a armed camp. There is no highest law on the
    internet, group cooperation and consensus are all we have. Rather democratic
    and friendly most of the time. I'd hate to see that change.

    Sincerely,

    John R. Morris

    P.S. Stanley, I know that what you said wasn't contrary to my opinion, I
    just picked your message to jump back on this thread. I agree with you, of
    course,
    this isn't about guns or children, and when was the last time someone
    vaccinated you without proper consent ??? Next they will drag out Nazis or
    Communists, and some sort of holocaust or other horrible thing, and compare
    our side to it. Ahh, just like the good old days on Usenet, before the great
    renaming...