RE: Achiever CSS-50 Personal Paper Shedder Buffer Overflow (!)

From: Robert Hagen (robert_hagenat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 13:24:45 PDT

    <soapbox>
    I don't mean to spark off another "full disclosure" debate here, but I
    really feel that posting this exploit to the list before the vendor has even
    been notified constitutes an act of professional negligence.  We're kidding
    ourselves if we don't think that hordes of script kiddies subscribe to this
    list looking for 'sploits to add to their arsenals.  That's the last thing
    we need is a CodeShred worm wreaking havoc on paper shredders around the
    world and taking the DoD's entire shredder network offline.  Next time,
    please ensure the vendor has been notified and given adequate time to
    produce a fix prior to releasing exploit code.  It's our responsibility as
    security professionals.
    </soapbox>

    -rdh-