Re: Hidden Folders

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 03:35:53 PDT

    Justin,

    > This could prove to be a big problem for people who
    > have open shares, as people could hide files in your
    > filesystem without you knowing where they are.

    Hidden files, specifically those in which the hidden
    attribute is set, have been around since DOS.  They're
    nothing new.  But you are correct...folks raised to
    use the GUI may or may not find them.

    However, they maybe very difficult to exploit in any
    manner other than simply hiding files.  The command
    interpreter seems to ignore hidden files and
    directories in the limited testing I've done.

    Users can look for files containing the 'attrib'
    command, or do searches for files that have the hidden
    attribute set.