Unscrupulous websites installing apps

From: Jeff Miller (jrm.waat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 11:50:43 PDT

    I have a user who *somehow* got caught in one of those websites with
    cascading window traps that opened up a bunch of new browser windows for
    him.  One of those windows was a prompt to install a program with the
    choices YES and NO.  He clicked the x in the corner instead, only to find
    that somehow a program had been installed into his program files dir
    complete with a shortcut in the start menu.

    I haven't seen this, but I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to
    defeat IE's security that easily and actually install an application.  Does
    anyone know how this is done?

    Sorry I don't have any examples.