Re: Admin.dll (strings ./Admin.dll)

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 15:36:07 PDT

    "Robert D." wrote:

    > I'm I correct assuming this is the same problem discussed in MS00-043?

    I think its MS01-033.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-033.asp

    That is probably for the better though. As I understand it,
    the MS00-043 defect would trigger as soon as Outlook was started
    and it read the mail headers. :(

    > In that case the following configurations are safe:
    >
    > IE 5.01 SP1 or later
    > IE 5.5 or later ( except Windows 2000, sp1 safe?? )

    If its MS01-033, they're not :)

    Worse, only 5.01sp1 and 5.5sp1 have patches available for
    them. That means the Windows Update Site doesn't help.
    I just went there with 5.50.4134.0600IS and it didn't tell
    me I needed the patch.

    You haven't lived until you've tried to talk a Windows 95
    user with IE3 through the update process. :(

    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/info-security/engineering/issues/iemime.shtml

    --
    Gary Flynn
    Security Engineer - Technical Services