Re: Bug in Apache 1.3.20 Server - Hackemate Research

From: Carl Schmidt (carlat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 13:20:42 PDT

    On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 07:37:18PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
    > > Like you can see, the sess_ files permissions are -rw------- for user
    > > root or www-data (like ja apache is installed)
    > > All other users can't read the info (non of the same group nor the other
    > > users)
    > >
    > > only the user running the apache server itself
    > > so show me where the security leak is ?
    > > I think its normal that apach itself can read the file and no one else
    > > can!
    > Well, IMHO storing a plain-text password is a problem anyway, and against
    > the 'good-practices'. Tell me, why passwords are usually stored only in
    > md5 hash form in /etc/shadow? It's readable only for root, so should be
    > no problem ;-).
    >
    > Possible intruder which will gain apache's privilegies, can read the file
    > and get the plaintext passwords *very* easily, w/o running any brute-force
    > decoder on them. And that's a Bad Thing (tm).

    As it has been said before -- this is not a problem with apache. Apache doesn't
    write sess_whatever files...php does when using sessions.

    If the initial emailer were concerned about where the files are being put they
    can edit 'session.save_path' in php.ini. That is if they're using php (just
    seems to be the likely thing...)
    --
    Carl Schmidt
    Just like the pied piper led rats through the streets