Re: Time-to-patch vs Disclosure method

From: Tomasz Rola (rtomekat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 03:44:43 PDT

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Mark Kennedy wrote:
    >
    > > I disagree that all Microsoft is doing is diverting attention.  They
    > > raise some legitimate questions and concerns.
    >
    > 	I could not possibly disagree more.  They are blaming the
    > discoverers of their flaws for their security problems.  That's not only
    > poor judgment, it's deceptive to the consumer.

    Contrary to the popular belief I don't think they are able to judge
    poorly. Remember, they have bigger part or so of the market - this was not
    done by a chance. I mean, you can win by a chance by you can't hold it by
    a chance. In this case, it requires a lot of social engineering and this
    can be observed in the news. They may not be very subtle but I don't think
    they are stupid and they can patch their deficiencies with brute force
    when required.

    > 	Rather than admit the glaring flaws in their own product, they
    > decide to publicly bash the firms that are helping people defend their own
    > networks.
    >
    > > Their problems are another topic.  But just because they are the source
    > > of the vulnerability does not undermine their valid concerns on how that
    > > vulnerability is disclosed.

    Their real problem, at least for me, is that there is no mandatory
    applying of security patches. First, admins may be undereducated. Next,
    when educated at last, they are reluctant to apply a patch because of a
    fear this will destroy working system. Under Windows system, going back is
    very difficult (probably a little bit easier with newer Windows), although
    possible if you spend some bucks on grand backups. Compare this to Linux,
    when this is quite simple (haha, so you have f**ed up your kernel, the
    central part of the system? haha, boot from rescue floppy and edit
    lilo.conf)...

    > 	Sure does.  Do note that Microsoft only endorses thos products and
    > services in which they can make a buck.  All the while, they go out of
    > their way to demonize every open source and security-related product and
    > firm that is given out for free.
    >
    > 	That's not just stupid, it's just another shining example of their
    > anti-competitive tactics.

    Well, why do you think that business is about competition :-). It's about
    making money and nothing else. Competition takes place when there is a
    conflict, when someone wants to get something and someone is afraid of
    loosing it. Right now, they (still) don't need to be competitive (that
    much) so they maximalise their income. If there is any real competitor for
    them, they are trying to win by the use of their propaganda, just because
    it is simply cheaper. A few ads/articles in newspapers, a few brochures
    and whoa! If propaganda doesn't work, they think about changes, which
    means they identify what they lack and try to incorporate. Thus any
    competitor not moving fast enough makes them stronger (sometimes, as a
    meal).

    Although the article mentioned in the beginning of this thread seems very
    innocent to me and I can agree with at least 50% of it, there is another
    point. Their problem lays in what I have already described, and... well,
    MS is a big beast. Every big beast moves only because it wants to eat
    something. I think there will be some news related to this topic from them
    in the future, a month or 5 from now. The propaganda lessons I have
    learned from my amateur history studies tell me, that the best way is to
    say something that almost everybody will agree with, at least with most of
    it, at least with one sentence. Anything will do. After gaining this
    psychical "foot in the door" (since they are not very subtle, it's rather
    "leg in the door") you should proceed with next statements and the final
    is, that you say something bad and stupid but everybody nods and believes
    it. However, that you say something stupid doesn't mean you are stupid.
    Quite the contrary, I would say.

    Just my 0.09zl (equivalent of $0.02 in Polish zlotys). :-).

    bye
    T.

    - --
    ** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rolaat_private             **