Errors in IE - are they exploitable?

From: Franklin DeMatto (franklinat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 06:22:04 PST

    Not to rarely, Internet Explorer crashes on me, with the Dr. Watson box
    popping up.  Now, I don't believe that these are simple buffer overflows
    and the like, but are rather more likely caused by a complicated internal
    state with some bugs in it.  They are certainly not easily
    reproducible.  My question is:  are these exploitable?  Using JavaScript,
    etc., it would easy to put IE through whatever loops are necessary to get
    to a particular state.

    All I have to work with is the Dr. Watson logs & dumps.  Like I said, these
    are not easily reproducable.  If anyone has any advice on this, please
    share it.

    Franklin DeMatto
    Senior Analyst, qDefense Penetration Testing
    franklinat_private
    http://qDefense.com
    qDefense: Making Security Accessible