Re: Infected jpeg files?

From: J Edgar Hoover (zorchat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 09:13:39 PST

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 joveat_private wrote:

    > 	If there was some sort of buffer overflow/other way of causing the
    > code to function in a manner inconsistant with it's design due to the
    > content/formatting of the .jpg image then yes, there could be a payload
    > designed to be set off upon viewing of the .jpg image.  Otherwise, the
    > .jpg image specifies (simplified) values of pixels in a compressed format
    > and thus the .jpg specification does not include the ability to run code
    > by default.

    The most likely route to an overflow is probably through one of the
    compression algorithms. Something similar to the massively compressed huge
    file that DoS'es antivirus scanners.

    Find a bug in any one of the "family of compression algorithms" supported
    by the standard that allows you to write 'image data' past the end of the
    allocated buffer.

    Cross-platform shellcode written to the most likely offsets for common
    architectures could effect a lot of boxes.

    I'll bet the specs aren't available online for a reason. ;]

    If anybody can fork me a copy, I'll work on a proof of concept.