Re: Infected jpeg files?

From: HackHawk (hughat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 21:40:16 PST

    This (finding an algorithm flaw) is the most interesting post I've seen
    about infecting JPEG images.

    However, I've seen no mention of files on the Macintosh.  Isn't it true
    that on a Macintosh, you can give an executable file ANY extension you
    want?  And isn't it also true that you can associate ANY image you want
    with your executable file?

    A MAC friend of mine once showed me how he got somebody to open a Mac
    Script file because the target thought it was a zipped archive of some
    sort.  The script setup a special access password on the targets system,
    then downloaded and opened the actual archive from somewhere else.

    I spent a few hours attempting to create such a file using Code Warrior on
    the MAC a few months back, but due to lack of time gave up the effort.  I
    was able to name an executable with any extension I wanted (.JPG to be
    precise), but I was never able to associate the image I wanted with the
    executable file.

    Any MAC people want to correct my belief if it is incorrect?

    - hh