Re: kernel panic [linux 2.2.19-7] on UDP scan CP4.1-SP5

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 08:39:51 PST

    On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:27:48AM -0500, Yanek Korff wrote:
    > Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case.  If a table were being filled
    > up, I'd expect the FW to stay up for some period of time before eventually
    > crashing.  Here are some relevant facts:
    >
    > 1. Linux FW crashes -immediately- before it has the opportunity to log a udp
    > packet with tcpdump
    > 2. Scans complete successfully against NT 4.0 and Solaris-x86

    There was a problem (kernel lockup) with certain types of UDP packets a few
    months ago (it could be though that happened only for locally generated
    packets). All vendors released fixes for these. Could be the scan checks
    for this vul. Check your vendor's security page for details.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax