Re: [NetGuard Security] NSI Rwhoisd another Remote Format String Vulnerability

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 14:20:35 PST

    And to add more info to this oldnews bug:

    Subject: RWHOIS Bug Fix
    Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:50:39 -0400 (EDT)
    From: ginny listman <ginnyat_private>
    To: dbwgat_private

    Regarding the recent vunerabilities discovered in the RWhois code, ARIN
    Engineering has released a patch.  This patch can be found at:

            ftp://ftp.arin.net/pub/rwhois/rwhoisd-1.5.7-1.tar.gz

    Questions can be addressed to dbwgat_private

    Ginny Listman
    Director of Engineering
    ARIN

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, alert7 wrote:

    > 	NSI Rwhoisd another Remote Format String Vulnerability
    >
    > Release infomation
    > ------------------
    >
    > Release Date: 2001-11-22
    > Author:   By NetGuard Security Team
    >           alert7 (alert7at_private)
    > Homepage: http://www.netguard.com.cn/
    >

    > Description
    > -----------
    >
    >   Rwhoisd is a publicly available RWHOIS server daemon for Unix based
    > systems developed and maintained by Network Solutions Inc.
    >
    >   Rwhoisd contains another remotely exploitable format string vulnerability.
    > It is possible to overwrite memory by syslog() if set use-syslog: YES.
    > $ normal default is YES
    >
    > Attackers may be able to execute arbitrary code on affected hosts.
    >

    > Version and Platform
    > --------------------
    >
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.1a
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.2
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.3
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.5
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.6
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.7.1
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.7
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.7-1
    > Network Solutions rwhoisd 1.5.7.2
    >

    > Details
    > -------
    >
    > log() function will call syslog(syslog_level,message) if set use-syslog: YES
    > in rwhoisd.conf file. Unfortunately,message is a user supplied format string.
    >

    > demo
    > -----
    >
    > [alert7@redhat62 ]# telnet 0 4321
    > Trying 0.0.0.0...
    > Connected to 0.
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > %rwhois V-1.5:003fff:00 localhost.localdomain (by Network Solutions, Inc. V-1.5.7-1)
    > %p%p%p%p  <------input
    > %error 230 No Objects Found
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    >
    > [alert7@redhat62 ]# tail /var/log/messages
    > Nov 21 13:04:06 redhat62 rwhoisd[27697]: CLIENT:127.0.0.1: query: 0xbffff8b00xbffff7fc0x808def80x806be4c
    > Nov 21 13:04:06 redhat62 rwhoisd[27697]: CLIENT:127.0.0.1: query response: 0 hits
    >

    > Prove-Of-Concept exploit
    > ------------------------
    >
    > wait for vendor fix it first ;)
    >

    > Vendor information
    > ------------------
    >
    > Vendor was informed at 2001-11-21
    > Vendor Homepage: http://www.rwhois.net/
    >

    > About Netguard
    >
    > China Net Security Technology Corporation (CNTC) is a leading provider of comput
    > er network and information security services in China.
    >
    > Copyright 2001 http://www.netguard.com.cn, All rights reserved.

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.