Re: Malicious use of grc.com

From: Nicolas Gregoire (ngregoireat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 02:48:35 PST

    26/11/2001 20:54:26, Magniat_private wrote :

    >Instead, we can easily bypass the need to crack the hash by simply using
    >the "IP Agent" supplied by Gibson.  Over a year ago, a hacked version of IP
    >Agent was published that allowed one to supply an address to scan-- Gibson
    >discounted this as a non-issue, but reportedly fixed IP Agent to perform a
    >check to prevent this from happening.

    I reported this information on September 2001 :
    http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/bugtraq0009/9.html

    Apparently, Steve Gibson still use a silly method to check for IP adresses to scan ....

    Quoting him :
    "As you'll see, this next-generation scan cannot be "faked out" in the
    same fashion since it deliberately maintains open and active
    connections to the user's target browser and penetrates NAT routers
    and firewalls"

    :)

    Nicolas Grégoire
    Exaprobe (http://www.exaprobe.com)