Can anyone verify a core dump on /sbin/mingetty

From: smackenz (smackenzat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 06:46:31 PST

    *nix Issue - Anyone with 'mingetty':

    After all the vi overflows, and wu-ftpd etc recently I thought I would have a
    sniff around a default redhat 7.1 box too see what I could find.  Anyway I
    managed to dump core on /sbin/mingetty and thought it would be worth
    reporting:

    See below for the shell out:

    [m0le@mainframe m0le]$ /sbin/mingetty `perl -e 'print "A"x9000'`
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    [m0le@mainframe m0le]$ id
    uid=500(m0le) gid=500(m0le) groups=500(m0le)

    (standard user account)

    This only works by doing this:

    /sbin/mingetty `perl -e 'print "A"x9000'`

    when I did the following:

    [m0le@mainframe m0le]$ cd /sbin
    [m0le@mainframe /sbin]$ ./mingetty `perl -e 'print "A"x9000'`
    Segmentation fault
    [m0le@mainframe /sbin]$

    No core dump....  It doesn't seem to dump in the sbin directory, however I've
    successfully dumped from several other dir's.

    I am running a RedHat7.1.  I would appreciate some feedback from other
    distros whith mingetty running.

    Thanks

    Scott Mackenzie.