Re: Potential hole in Ettercap 0.6.2

From: Blue Boar (BlueBoarat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 12:37:30 PST

    Michal Zalewski wrote:

    > GOBBLES is a good, one-time joke gone annoying... This guy is certainly a
    > good english speaker - the nature of "mistakes" made by him are not ones
    > newbies do; people with poor English skills tend to traslate idioms or
    > grammar constructions literally, to use the incorrect meaning of a word,
    > to use synonyms in their language that are not synonyms in English, to
    > make _certain_ spelling mistakes and such. Actually, he either knows
    > English very good (I guess better than me), or, more likely, is a native
    > English speaker.

    Which is frankly why the first couple of messages were let through.
    Long-time subscribers will be aware that I'm not opposed to a good joke
    on list now and then.

    > He personally attacks AtStake, Alfred Huger and many
    > other people,

    Which is why I have a policy against personal attacks on the list.  If
    I want someone's info on the list, and I can't tolerate their rants,
    I'll simply summarize their info myself.  This is the first time
    I've had to do this in the over 2 years that the list has existed.

    > so apparently has a good knowledge of the community. This
    > might be a way of someone to disclose some less revelant findings and have
    > some fun. One way or another, I can hardly say any of GOBBLES advisories
    > so far had a real value. I must say I do not find this offensive style
    > entertaining, and I do not perceive it as something clever. Anyone
    > familiar with the Usenet should have a good idea what a troll is, and how
    > to deal with it... GOBBLES posts are written exclusively to cause endless
    > discussions, flame wars, unnecessary noise - or, to be short, to get some
    > attention.

    I'm certainly aware of what a troll is.  BTW, pointing out that something
    is a troll is also feeding the trolls.  :)  The fact that something
    is a troll won't necessarily disqualify it for inclusion.  It's
    pretty pointless to troll a moderated list.  You generally just piss
    off the moderator, who is the one you have to get past.

    > I hate to say so, but maybe it is time to ignore him? Instead of
    > forwarding posts or excerpts or notification about yet another
    > vulnerability in a discontinued line of scientific calculators,
    > command-line buffer overflow / format string bug in a program that is not
    > supposed to be setuid, claims that a failure to log authentication failure
    > is a "remote root exploit", or an advisory on data leak as revelant to the
    > security of your system as disclosing your system time or username by
    > Sendmail in mail headers? I am not saying we should ignore valuable
    > research if it does not conform to some "style guidelines", or that we
    > should reject such very minor (and often unverified) bug reports if
    > described in an acceptable manner, but if it does not have any value and
    > lacks style, it is just sad.

    Were this Bugtraq, the posts wouldn't be (and aren't) permitted.  Since
    it's vuln-dev, I will allow some posts which I know (or think I know)
    aren't anything that can be exploited.  I get surprised sometimes.  Since
    we've spent a bit of time discussing *getty problems lately, it would
    be a bit inconsistent for me to just ignore the ettercap thing,
    since it appears to be just slightly more likely to have an
    exploitable scenario.

    Along those lines, I have taken a vote in the past and have had
    subscribers indicate that they wish to see bugs in non-suid
    programs.  The volume gets a bit high, though.  I'll probably
    have to start collecting summaries for all of the "x is vulnerable"
    posts, similar to what Bugtraq does sometimes.  I can't do
    it exactly like that, since this is a discussion list.  I will
    need to let through posts that are related, but not quite the same,
    more often.

    					BB