Re: Possible OpenSSH DoS Attack

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 09:41:12 PST

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Robert van der Meulen wrote:

    > Do you get this problem both when running sshd from inetd and standalone?

    the resource exhaustion attacks occur both standalone and from some 'super
    server', ie inetd.

    > Opening up a big number of connections to the server starves out the
    > number of available sockets, disallowing new connects. I can't think
    > of an easy way to solve this, without using an external measure (such
    > as a combination of --limit and --limit-burst iptables rules on
    > linux).

    alternatively you can use xinetd, which has a maximum connections
    directive, and also a "max from any one IP" directive. both of those help
    stave off resource exhaustion attacks by ssh.

    http://security-archive.merton.ox.ac.uk/bugtraq-199909/0207.html

    openssh committed a fix for this before we even noted it widely, and a
    friend even fix a sigchild problem (craig copi, see ChangeLog in
    OpenSSH-portable) way back in 1999. i dont think Ssh.com ever did a fix
    for SSH1 daemons, citing it was depracated ....

    jose nazario						     joseat_private
    	      	     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
    				       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)