Hotmail antivirus still does not clean recursive archives

From: Michel Arboi (arboiat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 02:44:57 PST

    [this post was rejected on Bugtraq. I just sent this to Hotmail through
    the "Contact us" page, but I am not sure it will ever reach the right
    person]

    I signaled this some months ago on VULN-DEV, and it is not fixed yet.
    The test:
    - create the "A.zip" archive with eicar.com (or a real nasty code) in
    it.
    - create "B.zip" with "A.zip" in it.

    Send both to some Hotmail account.
    Try to download A.zip. Mc Afee will tell you that it contains a virus
    and must be cleaned. The download fails because "there is no cure
    available for the virus on the file A.zip " (cleaning a test file does
    not make much sense :)
    You were warned: "Not all viruses can be cured. Your file will not be
    downloaded unless a cure is successful."

    Now try to download B.zip. The download will succeed and Mc Afee says
    that the file was cleaned. However, the "double" archives still
    contains eicar.
    I tried by Magister, BTW, and I got the same behaviour.

    Note that the user has to launch the virus/worm/whatever. However, if
    you create self extractor archives, this works too: A.exe is blocked,
    B.exe is _supposed_ to be cleaned. If you run B.exe, it can run
    automatically A.exe which can run the virus.

    IMHO, a wrong feeling of security is worse than no security at all.

    AFAIK, this is not a bug in McAfee, but in its implementation at
    Hotmail.
    On the same "double" archive, Yahoo sent an odd error message but did
    not say it was cleaned.