Re: Is GOT exploitable in solaris?

From: Juliano Rizzo (core.lists.exploit-dev@core-sdi.com)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 08:14:30 PST

    > I've never tried what you're attempting to do but if you can
    > exploit the format string multiple times you could overwrite
    > a couple of instructions in the PLT and create a JMPL
    > instruction.

    It's possible to overwrite the PLT with a CALL instruction,
    writing only once. I did it on Solaris 2.7/sparc

    The easiest way to exploit a format string is to overwrite any return
    address
    (paddress) to point to your shellcode , but  you can add few lines of
    code to
    your  exploit and translate the address of your shellcode (value) to a
    sparc call opcode.
    In this way you are able to overwrite the PLT.

    if (p_plt)
                    {
                      value = ((value - paddress)/4) +0x40000000;
                      printf ("Sparc Opcode:%x\n",value);
                    }

    --
    ==============[ CORE Security Technologies ]===============
    Juliano Rizzo

    Florida 141  |  2º cuerpo  |  7º piso
    (C1005AAC) Buenos Aires  |  Argentina
    Tel/Fax : (54 11) 4878-CORE (2673)
    info.argentinaat_private  |  www.corest.com

    This eMail and any files attached to it are confidential and intended
    solely
    for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If
    you
    are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering
    the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in
    error and that any use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
    email in error, please notify Core Security Technologies by reply email
    or
    dial (54 11) 4878-CORE (2673), and delete the material from any
    computer.
    Thank you.

    --- for a personal reply use: Juliano Rizzo <juliano.rizzoat_private>