Re: Possible hole in xchat

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 19:45:24 PST

    As per the bitchx discussion, probably not, unless the /exec -o function
    can be interjected remotely by outsiders, else it would be at best a self
    exploit situation. now, if this /exec -o function can be amassed via tty's
    or pty's by another user on the system, or some other remote vector, then
    there is an issue.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 SirExar@crazy-horse.net wrote:

    > Slackware 8.0
    >
    > Xchat 1.8.5
    >
    > When you excute a command using exec -o in xchat, the command is excuted
    > and the output sent to the current window.
    > If you excute a command of a lengthy nature, such as 5000 characters : )
    >  Xchat seg faults, this could lead to possible buffer overflow problems,
    > because the memory address is rewritten.
    > I used perl -e 'print "A" x 5000' to cause the fault (/exec -o perl -e
    > 'print "A" x 5000') which should produced an EIP of 0x41414141.
    > (Hex A)
    >
    > GNU gdb 5.0
    > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
    > conditions.
    > This GDB was configured as "i386-slackware-linux"...
    > (gdb) r
    > Starting program: /usr/bin/xchat
    > [New Thread 1024 (LWP 14486)]

    > [Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 14486)]
    > 0x80993b0 in handle_command (
    >     cmd=0x41414141 <Address 0x41414141 out of bounds>, sess=0x41414141,
    >     history=1094795585, nocommand=1094795585) at outbound.c:3390
    > 3390    outbound.c: No such file or directory.
    > (gdb)
    >

    > Im not sure if its exploitable or even a problem but i thought it was
    > worth a try.
    >
    > -exar

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.