Re: Evolution Cores (needs more work)

From: Kev (klmitchat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 14:29:42 PST

    > I was doing some testing of env vars (HOME in this case) and managed to
    > get evolution to core..   I set $HOME to 10235 A's as shown below, then
    > tried to execute evolution.  When I did that the following happened:
    >

    > sh-2.04$ export HOME=3D`perl -e'print "A" x 10235'`
    > sh-2.04$ evolution
    > Gnome-ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome directory
    > <AAAAAA....<snip>
    > aborting...
    > Aborted (core dumped)

    This, combined with the stack trace you show below, indicates that it is
    very unlikely that this bug can be exploited.  If I understand what I'm
    seeing correctly, Gnome is trusting the HOME environment variable--not a
    security problem in and of itself, really--and trying to create a
    directory it can use for per-user information.  It doesn't seem to be
    overflowing the buffer--perhaps it's truncating the file name--but when
    the directory creation fails, the Gnome library itself crunches out by
    calling abort().  Although this is bad manners in library code, it doesn't
    really represent a vulnerablity as far as I can see.
    --
    Kevin L. Mitchell <klmitchat_private>