RE: switch jamming

From: Richard Corley (richard_corleyat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 09:22:02 PST

    The Cisco switch code for many of their switches allows the use of port
    security as mentioned below.  However, it is not just a one-to-one
    relationship.  You have the ability to set a maximum number of learned mac
    addresses per port.  For example you can set port 7/7 to have a maximum of
    18 mac address, supporting a fan out hub.

    There are execeptions to this ability.  You cannot set port security on a
    trunk port, span port, set cam entries for a secured port, and in some cases
    some gig uplink ports...these however are usually trunk port anyway.

    If you have Cisco switches you should check out the documentation
    specifically relating to port security for your particular switch type.

    Rich