ssh

From: -l0rt- (simonat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 12:06:19 PST

    Hey guys,
    	I have heard some rumors about cracking ssh2 sessions in transit
    when using password auth.  I am currently considering ssh2 3.1.0 and am
    interested in using both pub key auth as well as password auth for some
    other systems.

    	When using password auth, how difficult would it be for someone to
    sniff my connection and extract/crack my password? I only ask because
    someone mentioned that it would not be too difficult.  What are the
    primary differences between password auth and pubkey? Is using password
    auth really that much less secure?  Please give me the details..

    -l0rt-

    Disclaimer: Any resemblance between the above views and those of
    my employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely
    coincidental.  Any resemblance between the above and my own views is
    non-deterministic.  The question of the existence of views in the
    absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader.
    The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for
    the second god coefficient.  (A discussion of non-orthogonal,
    non-integral polytheism is beyond the scope of this article.)