Re: ssh

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 12:49:54 PST

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Olaf Kirch wrote:

    > I understand the maths behind this, but I can't quite see a practical
    > attack. If the attacker wants to guess a plaintext block P_i transmitted
    > by the SSH client, he must feed his plaintext block P_(i+1) to the ssh
    > client on standard input, so that it is properly encrypted and then
    > transmitted. This implies a great deal of control over the client
    > process (such as the ability to write to the client's standard input).

    Well, in some cases, this might be possible. For example, when some
    protocol is tunneled over ssh - irc, smtp, pop3, and so on, and so on.
    Pretty common application. In many cases, a block of at least partially
    sensitive information (private messages, mails, etc) can be followed by
    attacker-induced block (irc ping responses, smtp return envelope,
    whatever). Of course, this usually does not apply to any interactive
    sessions - some might argue that users are often predictable, e.g. always
    type 'ls' after logging in, but...

    > I don't say it's not a problem, but I think this is exagerating things
    > a bit.

    That's a different thing ;-)

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [security]
    [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    =-=> Did you know that clones never use mirrors? <=-=
              http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/