Re: Comcast man-in-the-middle attack - ethics

From: John Hall (j.hallat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 14:11:30 PST

    I am not a lawyer and apparently neither are you, but I bet Comcast is
    quite fully covered by section 2511.2d, if you check your terms of service.

            It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not
    	acting under color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic
    	communication where such person is a party to the communication or
    	where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent
    	to such interception unless such communication is intercepted for the
    	purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of
    	the Constitution or laws of the United States or of any State.

    It is arguable whether this section is even applicable to an ISP sniffing
    customer's traffic.  Unfortunately in the US, ISP's are not "common
    carriers" by the FCC definition and don't have to follow any of the
    restrictions required of them.  Nor are they "persons acting under color
    of law" (who, under Bush's new anti-terror law, can now do just about
    whatever they want).

    So far the current legal decisions seem to allow an ISP or other Internet
    service (such as a business providing Internet access to it's employees)
    to do just about anything to or with the resulting network traffic.

    Regrettably, if you sign (or otherwise agree to) terms of service that
    remove any of the (surprisingly few) rights you have with regards to your
    electronic communications, you won't really be able to gain any traction
    in a legal complaint and complaining to everyone here is probably preaching
    to the choir.

    Run for office, I might vote for you.

    JMH